Benteke was left unmarked to head Luka Milivojevic’s delivery past Bernd Leno before Mesut Ozil equalised with a clever finish shortly after half-time.
However, two goals in eight minutes ended Arsenal’s 10-match winning league run at Emirates Stadium.
Wilfried Zaha capitalised on a mistake by Shkodran Mustafi to restore Palace’s lead and James McArthur’s header made it 3-1 before Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s reduced the deficit with his 19th league goal of the season.
Arsenal 2 – 3 Crystal Palace | English Premier League – Match Highlights
- 1. 17′ 0 – 1 Christian Benteke puts Palace in front at Arsenal! This is not a typo! He hadn’t scored for an entire calendar year but Christian Benteke has put Palace ahead! HIs last goal came on 28 April last year. But still, give a £30m striker the entire penalty area to put away a header and eventually he’ll get one right. Diabolical marking allows the Belgian powerhouse to thump past Bernd Leno.
- 2. 47′ 1 – 1 Mesut Özil equalises! How has he got that in there?! Sub Alex Iwobi is immediately involved in engineering some space on the left, he feeds Alexandre Lacazette and he then threads it on into the path of Mesut Ozil. He’s inside the area, to the left of goal and the angle is tight, but he still somehow squeezes a shot past Vicente Guaita and his near post. Unai Emery shakes the hands of all his backroom staff. Half-time changes well done.
- 3. 61′ 1 – 2 Wilfried Zaha restores Palace lead! Look up ‘rubbish defending’ in a dictionary and you’ll see this goal. Dear, oh dear, oh dear! Palace launch a free-kick from inside their own half, Christian Benteke beats two Arsenal men to it and nods it on, Shkodran Mustafi should still have it under control but for no known reason tries to leave it for his goalkeeper when there’s no way that can happen. Wilfried Zaha spins around the Germany defender and pokes the ball past Bernd Leno and in. Laughable.
- 4. 69′ 1 – 3 James McArthur heads in third! It looks like Crystal Palace are going to win the Ian Wright derby! Another set-piece causes complete meltdown in the Arsenal defence. Great ball in by Luka Milivojevic, Scott Dann nods it on and James McArthur is free to head in from just a few yards out. This will confirm Palace in the Premier League for another year.
- 5. 76′ 2 – 3 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang pulls one back for Gunners! Wonderful entertainment at the Emirates! Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang weaves past two defenders on the right, tries to link up with Alexandre Lacazette, Joel Ward cuts it out and the Gabon man just walks on to the loose ball and crashes it into the corner from the edge of the area. Clean as you like!