Divock Origi is the hero and Liverpool go back to the top of the Premier League. Manchester City need to beat Brendan Rodgers’ Leicester on Monday to go back to the top and keep it in their hands.
Divock Origi headed in a dramatic winner in the 84th minute, Liverpool ensured the Premier League title race will go to the final day of the season after Divock Origi’s late winner saw them beat Newcastle in a thriller at St James’ Park.The Reds looked on course for a ruinous blow to their title hopes after Salomon Rondon’s sublime volley made it 2-2.But Origi rose to head in fellow substitute Xherdan Shaqiri’s free-kick on 84 minutes.Liverpool move back to the top again, two points in front of Manchester City.City can retake the lead with victory over Leicester on Monday and would then take a one-point advantage going into the last round of fixtures on Sunday, 12 May.
Newcastle United 2 – 3 Liverpool | English Premier League – Match Highlights
1. 13′ 0 – 1 Virgil van Dijk scores the opener! Lift-off. Newcastle leave PFA players’ player of the year Virgil van Dijk totally unmarked in the area to power home a header from a Trent Alexander-Arnold corner. Liverpool going top as things stand.
2. 20′ 1 – 1 Christian Atsu strikes the leveller! Scenes. Newcastle are level. Javier Manquillo crosses the ball, but it’s over Trent Alexander-Arnold and Salomon Rondon. It reaches Matt Ritchie, whose shot is wayward and reaches Rondon. The striker has a shot cleared off the line by Alexander-Arnold’s elbow. And Christian Atsu is there to slam home the rebound.
3. 28′ 1 – 2 Mohamed Salah restores Reds’ lead! Football, eh? Moments after Newcastle almost take the lead, Liverpool go ahead. Daniel Sturridge backheels the ball to Trent Alexander-Arnold. The youngster crosses it in and Mohamed Salah is able to steer the ball home from six yards out in the centre. Alexander-Arnold’s second assist of the night.
4. 54′ 2 – 2 Salomon Rondón brings the game back on level! Woof. Brilliant goal by Salomon Rondon and Newcastle are level. Ki Sung-yueng takes a corner, which Georginio Wijnaldum heads out. It lands to Javier Manquillo, who heads the ball back into the area for Rondon. The striker lets the ball bounce and then smashes in an absolute thunderbolt past Alisson.
5. 86′ 2 – 3 Divock Origi scores late header to put Liverpool in front! Divock Origi is the hero again! Liverpool have a free-kick. Trent Alexander-Arnold and Xherdan Shaqiri stand over it and it’s the substitute who takes it. It’s a great cross from Shaqiri and Origi beats Jamaal Lascelles in the air to head past Martin Dubravka.